Web terminology

Walter Minkel walterm at nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us
Thu May 28 11:48:54 EDT 1998

We here call them "subject directories," because they're directories of
websites that (typically) are arranged by subject. We have two good ones
here at Multnomah County Library, our "Selected Web Sites," which our
staff uses for reference: www.multnomah.lib.or.us/lib/ref/

and our Homework Center for K-12:
www.multnomah.lib.or.us/lib/kids/homework/	--W

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Sloan, Bernie wrote:

> I have a (probably dumb) question about terminology.....
>
> What do you call those sites that basically consist of
> links to other useful sites? They can be annotated (like
> the Librarians' Index to the Internet), or simply lists of
> unannotated links.
>
> I tend to think of them as meta sites, but I was wondering
> if there is another term that's commonly used........
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bernie Sloan
> Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
> University of Illinois Office for Planning & Budgeting
> 338 Henry Administration Building
> 506 S. Wright Street
> Urbana, IL  61801
> Phone: (217) 333-4895
> Fax: (217) 333-6355
> Email: bernies at uillinois.edu

Walter Minkel, School Corps Technology Trainer
Multnomah County Library, 205 NE Russell St., Portland, OR 97212
Voice (503)736-6002; fax (503)248-5441; walterm at nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us