NT web server and CGI

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon May 11 17:00:37 EDT 1998

> When we try this we can get the software to run correctly when it
> is accessed by Internet Explorer but not by Netscape Navigator or
> Communicator (4.05).  Netscape tries follow whatever application
> is linked to a .cgi extension.  If I delete this MIME type, it tries to
> save the file.  IE launches the web poster.  Using the .isa extension
> we get an access denied message.
>
> Why does it work with IE and not with Netscape?
> Any help on unlocking this mystery would be most appreciated.

This sounds like a typical problem when the *server* doesn't understand
the MIME type involved, not the browser.  It's probably working in IE
because IE has a chronic willingness to ignore the Content-type header
sent by the server in favor of local mappings based on file extensions.

My first hunch is that these files are in a directory that does not have
execute permissions turned on.  If that isn't it, see if the manual
discusses MIME types that need to be set at the server.

By the way, the httpd server that came with your copy of NT Server 4.0
might be IIS 2.0, 3.0, or 4.0, depending on when and how you got it.
Check the version; IIS' interface and capabilities have changed pretty
noticeably over that range.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu