Web pages and frames

Stephanie Kraus krauss at crisny.org
Mon May 11 11:02:22 EDT 1998

Hi all-

I am in need of opinions from all you webmasters out there about the use
of targets in frames on a web page.

I have just been asked to design a web page for our local town
government and I have created a web site using two frames where the left
frame is the navigational frame or an index frame that contains links to
the main contents of the entire site and the right side is the larger
portion of the screen that contains the town logo and a link to the
Supervisor's welcome message (fairly standard?).

My question is:
>From the left navigational frame should a link to another page open in:
1) the same window- covering the whole screen?
2) the right frame leaving the left navigational frame available?
3) A new browser window?

Please keep in mind these pages are all the property of the Town and are
not other people's web sites- all links outside of the town's web site
fill the whole page- they do not open up within the Town's site.

Personlly, I hate it when at the end of my Internet session I have
multiple browser windows open- so my thought is not to have a new
browser window open but I am curious as to what other people do and
think is helpful when navigating a site.

TIA-

Stephanie Kraus <krauss at crisny.org>
Outreach & Internet Services Librarian
Wm. K. Sanford Town Library