Web Pages Evaluation for The Deaf

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Mon Mar 30 16:23:44 EST 1998

Hi Ana/

    I was pleased to see your posting of 23 March re: Web Pages for
the deaf. I believe that you will find the Web Accessibility
Initiative (WAI) of great relevance.WAI is a clearinghouse of
Web accessibility issues for individuals with disabilities.

     The URL for WAI is: http://www.w3.org/WAI/

    I discovered WAI during a literature and Web review of significant
projects and research relating to sensory browsing of Information
Spaces. I am the curator of _The Big Picture(sm)_, a Web-based
clearinghouse devoted to Visual Browsing in Web and non-Web
databases. The URL for _The Big Picture(sm)_ is:

         http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/BigPic.htm

    Earlier this month, I established _The Next WAVe(sm)_,
a clearinghouse to be devoted to Auditory Browsing in Web and non-Web
databases. I will be formally announcing this site in April after
I have fleshed it out with more project profiles. [If you'd like to
sneak a peek, the URL is:

       http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Wave.htm

Please understand my choice of WAV files that I have linked to the
graphics. It was a cloudy/dreary Winter here is Iowa and I needed
some Sun and Surf! {:->]

 If my schedule works as I hope, in May, I plan to formally establish
a clearinghouse devoted to haptic or tactile navigation of Information
Space in web and non-Web databases. This one will be called _The
Magic Touch(sm)_ I have already completed the first phase of a major
literature review for this third clearinghouse and am quite excited by
the possibilities of tactile information  navigation. I see great
potential value for the disabled that can result with the integration
of haptic technologies and the Web].

     I will certainly let you and the Web4Lib listserv (and others)
know about these projects as they become Available for Public
Consumption.

    Good Luck with your review!

    Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
Iowa State University
and
Science and Technology Librarian and Bibliographer
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/

             "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Invent It!"
                            Attributed to Peter Drucker

cc: Web4Lib