Alexa and copyright

Deborah Fleming csppkane at CLASS.ORG
Fri Mar 27 16:43:34 EST 1998

> I see your infringement issues if Alexa were re-selling/charging web
> pages, but Alexa isn't selling, they're storing pages so that you can
> access them if the site/network is down or not responsive.  This is a
> common practice of AOL to "speed" up your access to a site.

Unless AOL has rights granted by the copyright holders of the sites, they
might be in violation of the copyright laws, too.  Copyright infringement
is not only a matter of whether you are re-selling material or not.  I am
not a copyright lawyer, but I do know that it is considered infringement
of copyrighted material to make copies of it beyond what is allowed by
the fair use provision of the copyright law.  I am a librarian and this
issue has come up in the institution where I work.

I wonder if this Alexa practice is the type of thing we are told is being
worked out as copyright issues relating to digital data are being
addressed in congress and elsewhere.

Seems that things are getting messier and messier....

Deborah Allen Fleming
dfleming at mail.cspp.edu