Netscape: CCK my experience (Long)

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Wed Mar 25 19:24:12 EST 1998

Screen shots made with ALT-PRINT SCRN  at:

http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/cck.html

After downloading the megafile you have to run setup which means you need at least 77+ more
megabytes of space.  Well after installing the CCK, all Tuesday evening,  it is somewhat simple to
run.  The kit includes options for 16bit or 32bit installations, install Communicator or
Navigator, build a custom install which can include setting up for an ISP, and a backup of the
original directories you are instructed to edit (thanks NC).  It also comes with Communicator 4.04
and Navigator 4.04.  And there is a Windows version or MAC version.

My goal was to create an installation file to run from the Novell network with all preferences
already set
I first ran the Netscape Configuration Editor  which opens a browser screen to one that somewhat
resembles the Communicator Preferences screen with groups Appearance, Navigator,.. et al.  Once
you make selections you can choose rather or not to 'lock' that selection.  Through the use of
java, this utility creates the netscape.cfg file that you can save as text and then 'convert' it
to a file ' "locked" (hashed), so that the file cannot be directly read by users or tampered
with.'

Next, I edited the setup.ini file, with notepad, in the CCK\instbldr\custom\32bit\install\
directory.  In this file you can set some custom text for the install and set dialog boxes to
display or not to display.  I set one dialog box to display to see if it was working:
EXAMPLE
;
[Product Defaults]
Show Dialogs=YES
Product Setup Title=Netscape Communicator
Product Setup Title1=Setup
Product Setup Title2=For Belk Library
Product Setup Title Font Size=22

Show Welcome Dialog=YES
Welcome Dialog Title=Netscape Communicator Setup for Belk Library
Welcome Dialog Message=Welcome to Netscape Communicator Setup.

Show Path Dialog=NO
Path Dialog Title=Choose Destination Location
Path Dialog Message=Please enter the location where you would like to install Netscape
Communicator components.  You may type a new directory name or click the Browse button to find a
new location.

This file is in the form of a typical windows ini file.  The last section hard codes the path for
the install.  I could have said no to all Shows, then one double click would install all with no
user choices.  This brings us to the Install Builder program.  This is an executable not java.  In
this program you can choose an installation for diskettes, CD, or Network.  I chose CD and Network
to see the difference.  The difference appears that in CD format all of the files are decompressed
and the network version is one executable containing all of the CD files.  I set the destination
directory in the dialog box and then chose the "configure" option.  It is here that you can choose
Communicator or Navigator.  You can also choose some add-ons here.  I chose all the add-ons and
got several errors indicating that a path definition was missing.  I went back and set no add-ons
and it ran like a champ.  The default search button on Navigator is set to do a site search.

The CCK program resides on the ALPHA NT server that I access from a Win95 client to put the final
product on the Novell server.  All drives being mapped, everything appears to be local to the
program.

What I didn't find that I did want (doesn't mean its not there):
disable Set wallpaper from right mouse click in win95.

Wilfred Drew wrote:

> Netscape has finally made the Client Customization Kit available.  It is
> at:
> <http://home.netscape.com/comprod/netscape_partner_programs/browser_distrib/cck_download.html>
>
> I am going to try and use it.  Let you know what happens.
> --
> Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill"); Associate Librarian (Systems, Reference)
> SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902
> E-mail: DREWWE at MORRISVILLE.EDU powwow:drewwe at wedrew.lib.morrisville.edu
> Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
> Homepage: <http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/>
> Not Just Cows: <http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/>
> LibraryLinks: <http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/>
> Support the North East Dairy Compact. Help the family dairy farm survive.
> --

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
tmgb at www.library.appstate.edu                http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  704 262 2797   FAX:    704 262 3001

In librarianship--as elsewhere--the quality of service is not measured by
the number of complaints received