Chat: another view -Reply

Janice White Janice.White at fct-cf.x400.gc.ca
Wed Mar 25 02:33:50 EST 1998

Hi :)
Thought I would jump into the fray....  I agree totally that chat programs are of great value to many people and should not be discounted.  Chat is often used by long distance learning students as well to stay in touch with other students and teachers involved in the courses.  Another thing you must realize is that learning about other people and places is also valuable to a persons growth.  I have made more friends all across the world that I would never have made if it wasn't for chat programs.  I have learnt about different cultures and different customs that have given me insight into how things are done in different parts of the world.

Yes I suppose there are those that are going to abuse the access but why let them ruin it for those that use it and learn from it?

Just my opinion
Janice White
Ontario Canada

>>> DDA.RFC-822=web4lib(a)library.berkeley.edu 03/24/98 03:54pm >>>
Please don't discount the value of chat.  As part of an "away" program of
Emporia's School of Library and Information Management in Portland Oregon, I
engage in a once weekly "chat" with some of my cohort mates.

I live an hour from Portland, and this is really the only way to keep up in
real time with a number of my friends between class sessions.  I know several
of them use their University libraries terminals for this.  We are able to
vent, help each other on assignments and ENCOURAGE one another!

I hope you all will be sensitive to the various uses of chat: not always just
"chatter."  As more educational programs go cyber, this may become a regular
way of "getting together!

Christopher D. Rumbaugh
Oregon State Library
christopher.d.rumbaugh at state.or.us