Family TreeMaker CD and internet access

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Mon Mar 23 17:19:37 EST 1998

You may want to look in the archives.  Within the past month or two there was
discussion about aiming the browser to access only the site(s) listed in the
hosts file.  If you're not aware, the hosts file is a file listing ip numbers
and their name.  This is if you want the work station to have access to that
one WEB site.  You have to disable dns on that machine.  Again, it should be
in the fairly recent archive.

Thomas

Sherrida_Crawford wrote:

> The library has a non-networked workstation designated for the Family
> TreeMaker CD set and some other (stand-alone) CD products.  Family
> TreeMaker has a website that can be used in conjunction with the CD
> product.  The library is reluctant to add internet access to the CD
> workstation, because we believe it will exacerbate queuing problems for
> the workstation in relation to internet access to the point of excluding
> access to the CD titles, including Family TreeMaker. We presently have
> many other workstations with internet access in the library, yet
> experience peak usage periods, when user demands exceed internet
> workstation availability.
>
> I'm assuming that the Family TreeMaker CD product is probably not unique
> in pointing to an associated website.  Short of enforcing time limits and
> having to sign-up for the CD workstion, are there other library solutions?
>
> Sherrida J. Crawford,                    (912)  333-5872
> Automated Systems Coordinator       FAX  (912)  333-5862
> Odum Library
> Valdosta State University
> Valdosta, GA  31698
>
> crawford at valdosta.edu

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu                http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/

Voice:  704 262 2797   FAX:    704 262 3001

In librarianship--as elsewhere--the quality of service is not measured by
the number of complaints received