Chat Rooms (Policy)

Melanie Liechty mliechty at inter.state.lib.ut.us
Mon Mar 23 14:18:54 EST 1998

We are on the verge of eliminating the use of chat rooms on our four
public access computers. This has been after much argument, discussion
and research. As a public library we do not want to censor the use of
the internet. Yet as a medium sized public library with only 4 computers
for the public to use for the internet, we need to eliminate some of our
'problems' and free the computers to those who need them for research
and reports. Our 1 hour time limit hasn't helped as there are those who
continually abuse the limit.

So the decision has been made to enforce a policy of 'no chat rooms.' We
are interested in how other libraries have handled this problem, and
need some ideas for the exact wording of policies.

Thank you for your time.

--
Melanie Liechty (mliechty at inter.state.lib.ut.us)
http://www.logan.lib.ut.us