Java now prints our graphs

Harry M. Kriz Harry_M_Kriz at vt.edu
Fri Mar 20 12:15:29 EST 1998

About a year ago we put up some Web pages that enable our interlibrary loan
customers to generate reports and graphs that let them evaluate the
performance of our services.

The graphs we use on our ILLiad Reports at

   http://www.ill.vt.edu/ILLiadReports/

are generated by a Java applet using data extracted live from our SQL
Server database. We were always disappointed that the graphs couldn't be
printed by Netscape Navigator or Internet Explorer.

We now find that Internet Explorer 4.01 will print the graphs. Netscape
Communicator 4.0 still does not print the graphs.

I have always read that Internet Explorer had a superior Java virtual
machine. At least in this instance that is clearly the case.

--Harry

Harry_M_Kriz at vt.edu   540-231-7052   FAX:  540-231-3694
http://learning.lib.vt.edu/authors/hmkriz.html
University Libraries
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University (Virginia Tech)
Blacksburg, VA   24061-0434     USA
"What joy to awake every morning in a world so filled with  things to learn."
                                                         - H. M. Kriz (1994)