periods at end of URLs

W. Frank Lowe flowe at oncology.uthscsa.edu
Fri Mar 20 10:05:57 EST 1998

Thought I would add my $.02 in here after lurking for some time.
A  Uniform Resource Locator (URL) is a network extension of the filename
concept.  It is typically a path to some network (inter/intra) file or
directory.  Paths usually don't contain "." at the end (but can), so
to include it makes the pointer to the resource incorrect.  Similarly,
one wouldn't put a / after the end of a path to a filename.  For those
who want to delve further into this, URL syntax is defined by RFC 1738
and David Baker has a very good guide at

	http://www.netspace.org/users/dwb/url-guide.html

Of course there is also the problem of how to punctuate a path with a period -
http://www.zork.edu/strange-path. in a document    ..?

Best regards - I really find this list helpful in several dimensions.

Frank

W. Frank Lowe
Medical Oncology
University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio
San Antonio, Texas

flowe at oncology.uthscsa.edu