The Internet dividend

Eric Sandelands hj97 at dial.pipex.com
Wed Mar 18 13:00:57 EST 1998

Our E-postcards from the Other Side columnist outlines "The Internet
Dividend" following his thoughts on "Web Rage" in the previous postcard.
It is freely available at:
http://www.openhouse.org.uk/virtual-university-press/columnists.htm

To give you an extract:
"The second fascinating strand has been the emergence of the notion of an
"Internet dividend" - like the "Peace dividend" at the end of the Cold
War. All of a sudden, the cost of providing post secondary/ tertiary
education and learning resources is wholly transformed. We have of course
always agreed that was going to be the case but the fascinating question
is : will we therefore have a major saving of government expenditure
/private fees or will we simply consume more of it to take advantage of
the dividend?"

Should you have views on this issue and/or experiences, please do
contribute to our online conference "Emerging Models of the Virtual
University". It is at:
http://www.openhouse.org.uk/virtual-university-press/conference.htm

Eric Sandelands