Auditorium(sm): The Sound of Meaning(sm)

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Sat Mar 14 14:14:17 EST 1998

         Auditorium(sm): The Sound of Meaning(sm)

   For a planned Web-based clearinghouse, I am greatly
interested in learning about projects, research, products
and/or services devoted to Information Auralization. By
Information Auralization, I mean the _representation_
of data or information by sound in unstructured, semi-
structured or structured databases, collections, or
information spaces.

   While I am particularly interested in the application
auralization to the navigation of Web resources, applications
of aural/auditory techniques to navigate non-Web databases,
datasets, collections, or information spaces are also of
interest.

   I am aware of a handful or so of major efforts
notably those of Rorvig and Orkiszewki,  Hjerppe
and Lopresti and Harris.

   Suitable projects, research, products, and services
will be profiled in a clearinghouse to be titled
_ Auditorium(sm):The Sound of Meaning(sm)_ at the
following URL:

 http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Sound.htm

   The format will be similar to my clearinghouse
devoted to Information Visualization called
_The Big Picture_ at URL:

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/BigPic.htm

  As always any and all contributions, comments,
questions and/or critiques are most welcome.

  Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
Iowa State University