Why double-clicking in browsers?

John Burke burkejo at ucrwcu.rwc.uc.edu
Fri Mar 13 14:00:46 EST 1998

I hesitate to even ask this question (fearing that Friday-zaniness has
overtaken me), but here goes:  has anyone else been feeling overrun with
users who feel they must double-click every HTML link (or "Back" button,
etc.) they come across?

Most annoying point (for us):  from our library electronic reference
sources page, we have a link to a telnet session for our OPAC.  Users
routinely double-click this link and simultaneously open the session and
then hide it behind the browser window.  When they try to click on the link
again (even with a single-click) the telnet session will not open for them
and they call for help.

It's an easy enough problem for us to correct for them, but it gets
repetitious and annoying at times.  My question is perhaps a rhetorical
one, but what has made people of all walks into determined over-clickers?
Is it just that enough computer instructors/saavy friends/librarians/etc.
have hammered into them the idea that you have to double-click to start
programs and that you can double-click as a shortcut for closing windows
and choosing files?

With Windows95 and the magic Start button, I find myself double-clicking
less.  I wonder if the replacement of older OS' will stop this clicking
frenzy.

John (obviously obsessed with clicking behavior)

John J. Burke, MSLS  |  Systems/Public Services Librarian
University of Cincinnati - Raymond Walters College Library
E-mail: john.burke at uc.edu  |  Web: www.goodnews.net/~burkejl/infoman/