cgi authentication software

Michael Squires (michael) michael at sequent.com
Thu Mar 12 09:58:57 EST 1998

Every type of web server (e.g., Apache, Netscape, IIS, ...) has a built-in
way of doing this - you don't need to do it "by hand." They let you define a
list of users and their passwords, and then "protect" files and directories.
There is a wide range of granularity and flexibility, though. Some only let
you protect at a directory level, and some require changes in the server
configuration. The best bet is to check with your webmaster - they should be
able to tell you how to do what you want on the system you're using.

And doing it "by hand" is not straightforward at all, since the httpd
connection is stateless. It's not particularly hard (I've done several), but
it may require more system fussing and configuration than you want to deal
with.

So, talk with your webmaster and go from there.