counters on web pages

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 11 13:12:17 EST 1998

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, John Walker wrote:

[snip]
> Take a look at the counters on my web pages at:
>
> http://www.networx.on.ca/~jwalker
>
> These keep track of how many folks visit each page. They also give a
> full report with grand totals and daily totals for the site.
>
> Oh, I forgot to mention that it's free.

You also forgot to mention that you need to take the advertisement along
with the "free" counter. Page counters are about the worst way I can think
of to keep statistics. First, no one looking at the page besides the
author of it cares. Second, these things always add to the bandwidth load
of the page. As another poster described, your server software keeps track
of your statistics. If your Web manager doesn't provide you with these
statistics, then they are not doing their job. Feel free to quote me on
it.
Roy Tennant