need for new list?

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Tue Mar 10 19:35:39 EST 1998

My reply went out before I received this one.  This is EXACTLY what I had in
mind.  Now maybe set specific keywords as a reference on the w4l homepage and
everything else fall under New (this would be a special unique key on a topic
which has NEVER before appeared and/or is NOT in the archive) , Misc, or  ...
etc.

Thomas

Roy Tennant wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, David P. Miller wrote:
>
> > Really, truly, what is wrong with designating technical topics in the
> > subject line?
>
> OK, I feel like I owe it to the Web4Lib community to give this idea a try
> and see how we like it. Please bear with me, as I don't think there is any
> perfect way to do it. Here is what I suggest, and I am open to other
> ideas.
>
> I propose that whenever a posting has a clearly definable topic, that the
> most specific term you can imagine be placed in the front of your subject
> in all caps followed by a colon. Thus, a message relating to a Perl
> programming problem would look like this:
>
> PERL: How do I do a redirect?
>
> I do not think it will work to create a list of authorized subject
> prefaces, for two reasons. The first and most compelling is that we cannot
> expect everyone to either remember the list or remember where to find it.
> The number of "how do I get off this list" questions posted to the list
> is enough proof of that. Second, things change so quickly that we could
> spend a good deal of time managing the list of approved subject prefaces.
>
> I plan to start testing this out momentarily, and I urge you all to as
> well. That way we can find out if this is going to work or not. Thanks,
> Roy Tennant
> Web4Lib Owner

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu                http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/

Voice:  704 262 2795   FAX:    704 262 3001

In librarianship--as elsewhere--the quality of service is not measured by
the number of complaints received