NEW LIST: Re: need for new list?

Inyo County Free Library inyocolib at QNET.COM
Tue Mar 10 13:35:13 EST 1998

Roy Tennant wrote:

> Please bear with me, as I don't think there is any
> perfect way to do it. Here is what I suggest, and I am open to other
> ideas.
>
> I propose that whenever a posting has a clearly definable topic, that the
> most specific term you can imagine be placed in the front of your subject
> in all caps followed by a colon. Thus, a message relating to a Perl
> programming problem would look like this:
>
> PERL: How do I do a redirect?

   <snip>

> I plan to start testing this out momentarily, and I urge you all to as
> well. That way we can find out if this is going to work or not. Thanks,
> Roy Tennant
> Web4Lib Owner

As usual, the voice of sanity - our listowner!

I am going to join the counter tidal-wave and speak against another
list.  I was also under the initial impression that this list included
both tech. and policy issues.  I see it as a good place for general
web-related discussion.  Like Diane Lewis, I read the list to keep
abreast of what's out there in Web-land.  I'm sure I'd not subscribe to
a tech-only list, although since I'm inching closer to mounting a web
page for the library, I'm sure I'd need the information.

Let's try Roy's way for a while - I've tried to demonstrate how it might
work (with an admittedly un-technical topic) in my subject line.

Glenna, who doesn't want to subscribe to yet another list, either.
--
Glenna Stansifer, Director
Inyo County Free Library
inyocolib at qnet.com