Alternatives to navigation frames

Katherine Kendall kk at harborcom.net
Sun Mar 8 15:15:17 EST 1998

David Stern wrote:

> One option for banners (or side bars) is tables ... see an example at
>
>   http://www.library.yale.edu/scilib/library.html
>
> Printing and URLs are not affected, and even lynx viewers can deal with
> them ... although the data does show up as a block before the page text.
>
>   David

You can also do this as an image map created in a graphics program, but you can't

alter the text without redoing the graphic.  See:

http://www.lightstream.net/mspac/index.html

the advantage is you can make a special font and add graphics if it's not going
to change.
I did all my navigation this way when I first started making pages.  But tables
work well, too
and you can change the graphic/text in the cells whenever you want.  You just
don't get
the spiffy fonts.

Kathy Kendall
Mentor Public Library