Need for a new list?

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 6 14:20:18 EST 1998

I am of (at least) two minds about this. When this was first suggested I
thought "yeah, that'd be cool". Then I was reminded that the mission of
Web4Lib includes such discussions, so why shouldn't we have them here? But
in reality I think we need to consider a couple things. One is an increase
in traffic, which I think most readers will agree that we don't want to
see. Another is the "chilling" affect of realizing that your question
about regular expressions (of which I will admit to having many I'm dying
to ask) will go out to probably a couple thousand people who couldn't care
less about it.

So I guess for myself, I do see a need for such a discussion, and I will
be one of the first to subscribe when it becomes available. As for making
it available, I almost jumped at it. But there isn't any reason why it
should be hosted here necessarily, and if we have others who are willing
to take it on, then great. But for anyone who wants to take on this
responsibility I request that you make the archive browseable and
searchable from the Web. I would also like to see the discussion's Web
site grow in a way similar to the Web4Lib site, with a page that could
point to discussion messages with the best snippets of code or solutions
to programming problems. I think it could be a wonderfully useful
discussion and set of Web resources for library-based programmers.
Roy Tennant