FTP

Bill Jenkins wcj1 at cornell.edu
Thu Mar 5 10:32:24 EST 1998

>        I'm trying to build an HTML page that accesses an ftp site.
>The WEB Page is NT/IIS password protected.  In other words when
>trying to access the page the user is prompted for a user id and
>password.  Are those user ids and passwords stored in some environmental
>variables?

>This works when I send the actual user_id and password but how can I
>capture them in variables and send the variables.

Instead of writing a URL, what you will probably need to do is to write:

Step 1. Launch your FTP client program.
Step 2. Enter "000.00.0.000" as server name and "folder" as the path
Step 3. Enter your userid and password in the fields and then login.

The way the ftp:// URL is setup is that either you specify a
userid/password or else it assumes anonymous access. It really doesn't have
a way to prompt the user.

BillJ