Re-definition(?) of "meta"

Matthew Theobald, MLS theobald at ai.org
Wed Mar 4 15:19:13 EST 1998

Hello web4libers,

Geospatial, like "metadata", is also not in Websters Unabridged.
Can metadata be non-geospatial if I understand the term correctly?

Geographic and relational information are only two fields in the Dublin
Core.
Moreover, it is readily apparent that changing information is the staus
quo and part of the problem.  Doesn't metadata attempt to lock down
particular fields of information and allow for flexability in
maintaining the record.

The technical definition of metadata seems clear, the impact in
navigability and meaningful organization has not reached critical mass
unless we speak of metadata in the popular Intenet abuse of metatags as
a means to unorganize the web.

To me metatagging serves as a more permanent catalog record than the
design or content of a web-site or page and is less subject to change
and more solid a foundation for records management.  I don't mean to
start a semantic arguement.  Meta will always mean change.  But what the
change brings is control, not more freedom from structure.

Metadata seems to be suc a valuable tool to cope with change by creating
structure
that I have plans to implement the Dublin Core systemwide on my next
project.  It will also be valuable to sell the idea/encourage/mandate
secondary authors/webmasters to conform to it.  The site will be
searchable with a local search engine.  I have high hopes and would
enjoy hearing from any of you who have attempted system-wide
implementation.

Perhaps an off the cuff definition would be...

Metadata-
The use of underlying control variables, codes, and vocabularies in
organizing a collection of web based records without altering the
apparent design and content of the resource.

Yours Very Truly,

-Matt

Diane Madrigal wrote:

> The Federal Geographic Data Committee's pamphlet, "The Value of
> Metadata," provides this definition of (geospatial) metadata:
>
> "Meta means change and metadata, or "data about data," describes the
> origins of and tracks the changes to geospatial data."
>
> Diane Madrigal
> New York State Library

*  See the Indiana Digital County Network at:   http://www.indico.net
*  A template system to foster the development of community networks
*  in all 92 Indiana counties.