Virtual reference and instructional services

Sue Swanson swanson at BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU
Tue Mar 3 14:20:41 EST 1998

Dear Colleagues,

After reading a number of archives without success, I am posting this to
several lists, so please excuse any duplication.

Brandeis University is embarking on an ambitious rewiring project that will
eventually result in ethernet connections for each student living in the
on-campus dormitories. The Library is working with Computer Services to
develop an appropriate menu of services to accompany this technology.

My question is "What are other academic libraries doing to provide
reference and instructional services to undergraduate students in a remote
setting (i.e. not in the library)?"  We already provide a limited email
reference service and some web guides to research, but are looking for
additional possibilities.

Any comments about "works in progress" or "faits accomplis" will be
gratefully received.

Thanks in advance!

Sue Swanson

Susan E. Swanson
Reference Librarian
Brandeis University Libraries
415 South Street			telephone: (781) 736-4689
Waltham, MA  02254-9110		e-mail:  swanson at brandeis.edu