Chat Rooms (Policy)

Mike Mitchell mdmit at texas.net
Tue Mar 24 11:57:46 EST 1998

        We have banned all chat and gaming sites for security reasons.
Actual IRC chat room connections are pipelines for hackers into your system,
pipelines I'm not willing to open up. We disallow any downloading of files,
etc. (other than the inevitable MSIE cache stuff) and too often too many of
the chat/gaming sites want to download files to the computer. Many, if not
most, of our users are not sophisticated enough to know which sites are
doing this and which ones don't nor what's going to happen when they click
that button on the website. The same thing can be said about our staff.
Hence it's easier to ban it all. People have to read our policy and
guidelines before they are cleared for computer usage. We also post the
policy and guidelines on our website <http://www.nbpl.lib.tx.us/guide.htm>.
We've only had a few people that violate these policies and now that they
are banned from our computers the prohibited activities have decreased
dramatically. I'd hate to try to enforce this without a proxy server or
filter of some kind in a larger library though.

Mike Mitchell
Tech Services Librarian/System Administrator
Dittlinger Memorial Library
New Braunfels, TX 78130
mdmit at texas.net
http://www.nbpl.lib.tx.us