Proposed Standards for New List -- WebProgL

Wilfred Drew drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Mon Mar 9 09:27:13 EST 1998

I have received far more yes messages than no messages on starting a new
list.  The vast majority want the list as long as the discussion remains
focused on web based programming issues and not policy issues. I am not
sure how much work it would be to "own" sucha list let alone moderate it.
Susan Calcari and I could try to do it but I would like to see a small
committee of librarians moderating it.  I would forsee such a group
dividing up the work, such as one individual doing a web page for the list
(excluding the archived discussion -- that would be part of Susan's side of
things), help in reviewing messages (not before they are sent) to keep
discussion focused, etc.  I am sure I have not thought of everything.

Here is a suggested name -- WebProgL  Web Programming for Libraries

Proposed Membership:

Librarians, students in library graduate programs, anyone maintaining a web
site for libraries, or anyone with an interest in the topic.

Suggested Topics:

All discussion must be library centered.  Including but not limited to:

      JavaScripts
      Java Applets and Programming
      CGI Scripts
      Perl
      Web administration (setup and control)
      Login and/ or IP recognition
      HTML coding
      Other related topics.

Suggested Restrictions:

      Absolutely no advertising
      No site reviews except for technical discussions
      No spamming.
      No off topic discussions allowed.  Such people will be removed
from the list.
      Only members of the list can send and receive messages from
the        list.

Please send me input on this.  I think we need to get this list going in
the next week or two.
--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill"); Associate Librarian (Systems, Reference)
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902
E-mail: DREWWE at MORRISVILLE.EDU powwow:drewwe at wedrew.lib.morrisville.edu
AOL Instant Messenger:BillDrew2
Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
Homepage: <http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/>
Not Just Cows: <http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/?ng>
LibraryLinks: <http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/>
Address Book Card available upon request (v-card)