Fwd: NEW: webwomen - Women Web Professionals Discussion List

Karen Harker KHARKE at MEDNET.SWMED.EDU
Tue Jun 30 09:36:05 EDT 1998

I have been on this new list since the original invitation was posted.
Apparently there is still a need for a forum for women to freely
participate.  Only 2 weeks old and the list has nearly 200 members.  And
the list is very, very active.  Postings range from 'How do I...?' to
new announcements of other services.  It also appears to be a networking
forum for those women with their own businesses.

I have been on this list for over a year and other similar lists, yet I
have never seen so  many requests for assistance in the development of
pages or other highly technical issues.  Perhaps there is still some
insecurities in women when it comes to working in a technical field.

However, I am no psychologist, sociologist or anthropologist (although I
have had enough courses in these subjects to be a danger to others ;).
I have asked for assistance on this list and the new WW list.  Both
times I have received favorable responses, so I am using this new list
as yet another resource of information.

I am not sure how to respond to the comment about WebMen, nor even if I
should.  Technical fields are still mostly made up of men, although it
would be interesting to see a breakdown by gender on the number of
members and the number of posters.  I imagine (although only based on my
instinct) that both groups are mostly men.  If so, then this list is
closer to WebMen than WebPeople.

It's like what my mother used to say when I asked why there weren't any
Children's Days (like Mother and Father's days); Because every day is
Children's Day ;)

My 2cents.

Karen R. Harker
Information Resources Librarian
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75235
214-648-2001
www.swmed.edu/home_pages/library/

>>> John McGarty <jmcgarty at web.aacpl.lib.md.us> 06/30 7:21 AM >>>
Imagine a new listserv named webMEN -- a discussion list for men web
professionals.....

--
John McGarty
Chief, Automation and Technical Services

V: 410-222-7371
F: 410-222-7188
E: jmcgarty at web.aacpl.lib.md.us

Visit the Library