PC Personality Problem

Theodore C Schwitzner tcs at noctrl.edu
Sat Jun 27 13:57:51 EDT 1998

     Michael Dargan <darganm at iren.net> writes:
     >I have several Pentium 133s, 32 megs RAM, Win95, Intel NICs, etc.
     >running Navigator Standalone 4.05.  With one exception they work fine.
     >The odd one won't work with java-script enabled.  When it hits a page
     >with javascript, down it goes.  Navigator crashes and I restart.

     and Robert J. Tiess wrote:
     ...  You might also try going to those same problem web pages with
     Internet Explorer and see if that causes the same crashing.  If not,
     you might consider using MSIExp in place of NN on this computer if the
     problem persists.  You may also try an earlier version of NN, which
     you can download from www.netscape.com.  If problems continue,
     I'd begin to look around at other things, such as any plugins or other
     software/security settings ...

     In addition to Robert's suggestions, I would like to suggest checking
     Netscape's Technical Support pages for references to reported driver
     bugs or conflicts. I recently experienced a similar problem as Michael
     with Navigator 4.05 running on Windows NT 4.0--pages with Java applets
     were crashing the Navigator session.  A search of the Netscape pages
     revealed a reported bug with the video driver (in my case, Matrox
     Millennium), and the tech document indicated that Microsoft had issued
     a patch.

     So perhaps that wil prove to be helpful.

        Ted Schwitzner                          tcs at noctrl.edu
        Cataloging & Systems Librarian
        Oesterle Library        http://www.noctrl.edu/library/library.htm
        North Central College