Using W3Launch with Virtual Basic files? (fwd)

Jon Knight jon at net.lut.ac.uk
Fri Jun 26 09:56:39 EDT 1998

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Roy Tennant wrote:
> However,  the vast majority of the titles are initiated with Virtual Basic
> script (.vbs) files.  These files reside on a network drive (N:) and while
> they work fine with shortcuts from the desktop or clicking on them in
> Windows Explorer, pointing to the same files in W3Launch leads to a "File
> Cannot Be Found" error.  I would prefer to have all of our resources
> available through Netscape, hence the W3Launch, but this one has me
> stymied.  Any thoughts on getting this to work?

Is the N drive mapped in when w3launch is called?  If not you might need
to hack on the w3launch source code to put in the drive mapping code or
(easier) get w3launch to run a batch script that does the drive mapping,
changes working directory appropriately and then runs the VB code.  I'd
the former for a (now abandoned pending a new CD-ROM server) Win95/NT
CD-ROM launcher (I had all the w3launch config files as well as the
search software on the remote novell server so it mapped these in as a
drive before checking that the request was OK and then launching BATSH
scripts to map in any other drives).  I used the UNIX version of w3launch
that comes in source code form along with the Novell SDK and rebuilt
the hacked w3launch under WinNT using the Cygnus GNU development tools (ie
gcc).

Tatty bye,

Jim'll

#!/usr/bin/perl -- -Whois++-client-in-6-lines-of-Perl -Beat-that-Z39.50!
use IO::Socket;sub w{$f=shift;$a{$f}=1;($h,$p,$q)=split("/",$f);$s=
IO::Socket::INET->new(PeerAddr=>"$h:$p")||return;print $s "$q\r\n";while(<$s>)
{next if(/^%/);if(/^# SERVER-TO-ASK/){while(<$s>){$x=$1 if/Name: (.*)\r\n$/;$y
=$1 if/Port: (.*)\r\n$/;$f="$x/$y/$q";@j=(@j,$f)if(/^# END/&&!$a{$f})}}else{
print}}close($s)}@j=shift;while(@j){w(pop(@j))}# whois++.pl host/port/query