Shortcuts to DOS programs

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Thu Jun 25 14:14:04 EDT 1998

I experimented quite a while with trying to run DOS programs from a helper
application definition.  One time I had .bat associated with command.com and
one time it pulled up a dos window and if I had written the correct path in
the batch file, the program might had run.  Well after that, it reacted just
as you described.  The solution I found last Fall which enabled us to go to a
single Web interface for our menu is NTScript (info below).  Set up NT Script
as a helper file in netscape and you can test the notepad link from:

http://www.library.appstate.edu/Admin/Tower_Test/index.html

and if you don't feel safe about whats really in the prg file you can download
it on netscape by holding shift when you click on it and open it up in notepad
to see what it says.  NT Script allows me to run anything that is locally
executable including connecting to our CD Tower and using QVT Term with
preconfigured login and passwords.  I found NT Script originally at

http://www.bhs.com

Beverly Hills Software = a good repository for demo, shareware, and freeware
NT and Win 95 software.

How I set up ntscript for Navigator as follows:
Description of type: NT Script File
File Extension:      .prg
Mime Type:           application/x-ntscript
Application to use:  c:\path2ntscript\ntscript.exe

The application has much more powerful uses than what I have done with it
especially network uses.  I also had to setup the Mime type on the server as
well so I'm not sure how it will react to just run it locally.

Thomas
PS: it your not interested in scripting you may want to look at the other link
at www.rethink.com which goes to his buddy's page of home made lamps. :)

--- Program Info --------------------------------------------------

NTScript                                  Jason Simotas
                                          jsimotas at rethinkit.com
                                          Rethinkit Software
                                          www.rethinkit.com
                                          (c) 1996,97
--- Pricing -------------------------------------------------------

NTScript is not free but it's not crippled in any way.  If you use
this program, you must register it.
NTscript   ............................   $40
10 pack     ............................  $300
100 pack    ............................ $2500

Send payment to:
Rethinkit Software
POB 157
New York, NY  10113-0157
Make check to: Jason Simotas
Include e-mail address for registration
code and update notifications.

--- Description -----------------------------------------------------
ver 2.47
A 32 bit scripting language for Windows 95 and NT.

- Use notepad to create script files (.prg)
- Perform common administrative functions
- Useable in login scripts or as standalone scripting tool
- Read / Write registry settings or .ini file settings
- Copy and Synchronize files / direcotories
- Read / Write text files
- Call other programs based on date and time

James wrote:

> Hiya!
>         I'm running Netscape 4.05 on Win 95.  I want to launch some batch
> files using DOS shortcuts (.pif extension).  I go into Edit - Preferences
> - Applications - scroll down to "Shortcut to MS-DOS files" - Edit
> and select "Handle by Application" and deselect the "Ask me before opening
> .." options.
>
>         Whenever I try to launch a batch file using a shortcut, I get this
> annoying screen asking me if I want to download the file or open it.  I
> choose the "Open" option and deselect the "Always ask me before..."
> option.  I can continue to open files of that extension without that
> nagging screen throughout the rest of the session.  However, as soon as I
> close Netscape and open it again, I have to go through the whole process
> again.  How can I set Netscape to permanently accept the .pif extension so
> I don't have to worry about users selecting the wrong option?
>
> My apologies in advance if I simply overlooked a FAQ somewhere.  If such a
> beast exists, please feel free to point me in that direction.
>
> TIA,
>
> James DeWeese
> LA II LSU Libraries

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu                http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/

Voice:  704 262 2797   FAX:    704 262 3001

In librarianship--as elsewhere--the quality of service is not measured by
the number of complaints received