Filtering discussion.

Dan Marmion dan.marmion at wmich.edu
Wed Jun 24 15:37:36 EDT 1998

The analogy is not apt, and the key is in Dowling's statement that
"Listservs are push; web sites are pull."  We on Web4Lib did not
seek the "off-topic" posts, and the only way to avoid them would
be to unsubscribe (sort of the ultimate filter, I guess).  The porn on
the Web doesn't come to the library unless somebody goes out
and looks for it.

Dan Marmion

>>> Marc Meola <mmeola at astro.ocis.temple.edu> 06/24 3:28 PM >>>
A straw man position is one that is easier to attack than the one actually
held by an opponent in an argument. So I don't think the analogy in
question below is a straw man. I think the term you want is false analogy.

I think the analogy is clever, intriguing, and apt.
Dowling says "Web4Lib has a stated purpose, audience, and topical scope."
Isn't this also true of libraries?

Marc Meola