Shortcuts to DOS programs

James jdewees at unix1.sncc.lsu.edu
Wed Jun 24 15:12:24 EDT 1998

Hiya!
	I'm running Netscape 4.05 on Win 95.  I want to launch some batch
files using DOS shortcuts (.pif extension).  I go into Edit - Preferences
- Applications - scroll down to "Shortcut to MS-DOS files" - Edit
and select "Handle by Application" and deselect the "Ask me before opening
..." options.

	Whenever I try to launch a batch file using a shortcut, I get this
annoying screen asking me if I want to download the file or open it.  I
choose the "Open" option and deselect the "Always ask me before..."
option.  I can continue to open files of that extension without that
nagging screen throughout the rest of the session.  However, as soon as I
close Netscape and open it again, I have to go through the whole process
again.  How can I set Netscape to permanently accept the .pif extension so
I don't have to worry about users selecting the wrong option?

My apologies in advance if I simply overlooked a FAQ somewhere.  If such a
beast exists, please feel free to point me in that direction.

TIA,

James DeWeese
LA II LSU Libraries