Everyone's Menu Builder and Internet shortcuts

Nancy Bunker nbunker at whitworth.edu
Wed Jun 24 13:03:30 EDT 1998

At 12:50 PM 6/17/98 -0700, Beth Mazin wrote:
>We are having a major problem with Everyone's Menu Builder (CARL) Version 2.0
>
>Many of the online programs we run are web based, and require us to run the
>program from an Internet shortcut. This will not work because Everyone's
>Menu Builder will not return you to the menu after you close an application
>run from an Internet shortcut (an Internet shortcut has a .url extension).
>We are running Netscape 4.05 on Win 95 computers.  We've talked to CARL but
>can't seem to get a satisfactory response (fix).  I find it hard to believe
>that with the number of libraries running this program, and the need for
>access to specific Internet URLs, that CARL doesn't have a solution.

Beth

Sorry it took so long to reply I was on vacation.

We also use CARL's menu builder.  We just designed the menu to have one of
the buttons open the internet browser.  The browser is set to a web page
specially designed with links to the internet resources we want accessible
from that computer.  The students can click on the items and search.  When
the browser is closed it returns to the menu builder screen.

While we are on the subject:
We have problems running Netscape on our computers(Win 95) that also run
Menu Builder and OVLlite (which accesses our CARL opac).  After printing
from OVLite we get major protection faults when we try to print something
from Netscape.  This basically locks up the machine until it is reset.  It
also happens every time.  We have solved this by using Internet Explorer.
Does anyone have any idea why this happens?  It has to be something in the
Menu Builder program since we run OVLite and Netscape on other terminals
together without any problem.  The printer is a HP Laserjet 4000TN.

Nancy Bunker
Coordinator of Reference Services
Whitworth College Library
Spokane, WA  99251-0901