Filtering discussion.

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Jun 24 10:58:23 EDT 1998

> >Let us please keep whatever discussion we have on this topic
> on this list
> >at the highest possible level possible!
> >
> >Thank you.
>
> So, Kirk, what I hear you saying is -- without even getting
> into issues of
> right or wrong - there are some things -- some types of communication --
> some forms of information if you please --- that it is simply
> inappropriate
> to display\provide in some settings.
>
> BINGO! - that is exactly what many of us are trying to say about
> obscenity\pornography in the library - or at least those parts of the
> library accessible to children.

This analogy is a pretty tired strawman.  Listservs are push; web sites
are pull.  Web4Lib has a stated purpose, audience, and topical scope; the
web as a whole is a free-for-all.  Feel free to argue your points about
filtering--feel free to argue that the discussion belongs on Web4Lib, if
you want--but don't exaggerate the implications of a call for focus in one
professional forum.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu