INTERNET FILTERING

Filtering Facts burt at northwest.com
Tue Jun 23 21:52:11 EDT 1998

Karen Schneider wrote:
>Michael wrote, "does anyone have a guideline as to how many bad blocks or
>miscatagorizations are enough to warrant negligence?"
>
>I won't touch that question, however interesting it is, but I know if
>dozens of *books* were summarily removed from our library shelves by a
>company interested in managing our collection, and we could not see what
>titles were removed--let's say they were expunged from the OPAC, and all
>acquisitions material was destroyed, and publishers' catalogs no longer
>listed the items--I'd consider that a fairly far-reaching case of
>censorship, regardless of how well-intended the company was.

I still find it very odd that you are unable to state what an acceptable
degree of filter accuracy is, yet you claim to be able to offer meaningful
evaluations and comparisons of filter effectiveness.

David Burt	President, Filtering Facts
Website: 	http://www.filteringfacts.org
E-Mail:  	David_Burt at filteringfacts.org
Phone/Fax:	503 635-7048