SQL book recommendations?

John M. Morris jmorris at dtx.net
Tue Jun 23 14:15:10 EDT 1998

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Julie Castelluzzo wrote:

> I was at the bookstore today browsing the books on SQL (not SQL Server),

<O.B. M$ Bashing><EXPRESSION="mock horror">
What?  M$ SQL Server != the only SQL we need?
</EXPRESSION></O.B. M$ bashing>

> If any of you have books on SQL - Structured Query Language - that
> you found particularly useful, please let me know. I'm not looking for
> something of the Learn-It-ASAP genre, but something in depth that could be
> used as a reference.

I have a copy of _SQL for Dummies_ in my 'find time to read' pile.  I have
grazed it a bit though and it seemed pretty complete.  I'm noticing that
more and more with the dummies books.  Guess why somebody started up the
'complete idiots' series.  :)

First off though I'll need a guinea pig database... postgresql got
preloaded on my personal box way back when I upgraded to RH4.2 so there is
that and everyone also raves about mSQL, especially for web servers.  We
have a 'real' commercial SQL (Unify for SCO, running on RH 4.2) but I'd
rather not learn on the production server if ya know what I mean.  :)  And
Unify is probably not the best choice for smaller projects I could attack
related to my primary duty as netadmin/webmeister so learning those will
be helpful.

p.s. I pity anyone reading the above in a mailer which attempts to render
email as html.  :)  So stop it!

John M.      http://www.dtx.net/~jmorris         This post is 100% M$ Free!
Geek code 3.0:GCS C+++ UL++++$ P++ L+++ W+ N++ w--- Y+ 5+++ R tv- b++ e* r%