proxy servers

Peter Murray pem at po.cwru.edu
Thu Jun 18 13:47:25 EDT 1998

--On Wed, Jun 17, 1998 8:13 PM -0700 "Richard L. Goerwitz III"
<richard at goon.stg.brown.edu> wrote:

> As I've discussed in an earlier posting, these proxy services all use
> plain-text authentication, which is unacceptable for many institutions
> (including mine).

We put the actual authentication (and the proxy config file) on an SSL
encrypted server.  This isn't ideal, but at least the password is sent
encrypted over the wire.  It is still in plain-text in the memory of the web
server, but it is never written to disk.

Peter
Peter Murray, Library Systems Manager                    pem at po.cwru.edu
Digital Media Services                 http://www.cwru.edu/home/pem.html
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio          W:216-368-5888