proxy servers

Richard L. Goerwitz III richard at goon.stg.brown.edu
Wed Jun 17 22:53:57 EDT 1998

lydia wrote:

> > We have a number of web based periodical databases (IAC, SIRS, etc.)
> > to which we need to provide remote access for our students and
> > faculty.
>
> The short answer is that what you're talking about here is setting up
> a proxy server, and that it's a non-trivial task.

If there's a problem here, it's developing the documentation, support,
and administrative infrastructure.  A decent systems administrator could
get a proxy server set up on a virgin machine in an hour or two.  Tuning
it might take a week at most.  This is the trivial part.

> see
>
>   http://www.library.nwu.edu/help/proxy/
>   http://proxy.library.upenn.edu/

Add to this:

  http://www.lib.uci.edu/home/online/proxy.html
  http://www.library.wisc.edu/help/remote/remote_restrict.html

There are many others as well.

As I've discussed in an earlier posting, these proxy services all use
plain-text authentication, which is unacceptable for many institutions
(including mine).

--

Richard Goerwitz
PGP key fingerprint:    C1 3E F4 23 7C 33 51 8D  3B 88 53 57 56 0D 38 A0
For more info (mail, phone, fax no.):  finger richard at goon.stg.brown.edu