Selecting and evaluating electronic resources

Rowan Brownlee rbrownle at ilanet.slnsw.gov.au
Fri Jun 12 18:03:51 EDT 1998

I'm interested in criteria used to select and evaluate electronic
resources (such as locally mounted cdroms and information services
subscribed to over the web - eg. WilsonWeb, Proquest, IAC)

I'd like to hear from libraries that have developed procedures used
in this area.

I searched the Web4Lib archive and found two relevant sites.  Details
follow.

regards

Rowan

=====================

http://www.ola.bc.ca/eln/pands/fulltext.htm

The B.C Electronic Library Network site discusses the following
areas.

Fulltext Initiative Project Overview
Product Evaluation Committee
Database Selection Criteria
Trial Database Descriptions
Product Evaluation Form [PDF format]
User Feedback Form [PDF format]
User Feedback Form [HTML format]

The forms are interesting and include an online web based version for
user feedback

Under "Database selection criteria", they include the following areas
Access and authentication
Content
Functionality
Integration and interoperability
Licensing issues
Output options
Pricing
Statistical reporting
Technical format

Another site is provided by the St. Norbert College Library, called
"Criteria for the Selection of Full-Text Databases"

http://www.snc.edu/~mankmm/criteria.htm

They talk about...
Size and content
Depth
Ease of use
Quality of indexing
Currency
Ease of use for staff
Added overheads (hardware, staff, )
Integrity of the company
Vendor commitment to preservation/continued access
Technical support
Technical aspects
Cost

Rowan Brownlee
Electronic Resources Coordinator
Information Technology Division
State Library of New South Wales
Macquarie St, Sydney, NSW 2000 Australia
rbrownle at slnsw.gov.au
ph: 02 92731708