Basic for web design: summary

Francesco Giacanelli md1251 at mclink.it
Thu Jun 11 04:47:10 EDT 1998

Dear Web4libbers,

I received requests for the summary of responses about the basic of web design. Excuse me if I did not provide before. Here is the summary:

1)Concerning the possibility to learn HTML, all the responses were YES, even if PERL and CGI require programming skills. Putting a static database on the Internet is obviously simpler than create a dinamic one (i.e. db which allow to interact with queries). In general, it is possible for a librarian with no programming expertise to maintain a Web site.

Concerning the software for the Web design, here are the suggestions:
 - Pagemill from Adobe (http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/pagemill/main.html)
 - Microsoft FrontPage and Microsoft Server Page
 - ColdFusion (http://www.allaire.com)
 - Netscape Communicator 4.0
 - Aracnophilia (free from: http://www.arachnoid.com)
 - For the Mac: Cyberstudio, Dreamweaver and Claris Home Page (which allow to write also the cgi and java script).

2)Concerning basic reading, here are the suggestions:
 - Laura Lemay, Teach yourself HTML in 14 days
 - William Horton et al., Web page design Cookbook: all the ingredients you need to create 5 star web pages, New York, John Wiley, 1996. ISBN: 0471130497.
 - Introduction to HTML (free from: http://www.cwru.edu/help/introHTML/toc.html)
 - Louis Rosenfeld, Peter Morville, Information Architecture for the World Wide Web
 - Yahoo Section on HTML tutorials and guides (http://www.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Information_and_Documentation/Data_Formats/Html/Guides_and_Tutorials/)
 - Laura Lemay, Teach yourself web publishing with html in a week
 - Beginner's guide to HTML (http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/Internet/WWW/HTMLPrimer.html)
 - HTML Compendium (http://www.htmlcompendium.org/)

Thanks again to the list members for advices
Best regards
Francesco Giacanelli

Francesco Giacanelli
Biblioteca Italiana per i Ciechi - Centro di Documentazione Tiflologica
(Italian Library for the Blind - Documentation Center on Blindness)
Via della Fontanella di Borghese, 23 - 00186 Roma
Tel.: +39 6 68219820
Fax: +39 6 68136227
e-mail: cdtinfo at uiciechi.it
private e-mail: md1251 at mclink.it