Position Vacancy -- University of Guelph Library

Alan Gale agale at uoguelph.ca
Mon Jun 8 11:57:04 EDT 1998

        The following announcement describes an exciting opportunity
        with the University of Guelph Library, a member of the
        TriUniversity Group of Libraries. A current knowledge of the
        impact of technologies and their application in libraries is
        an asset.

        Currently, the TriUniversity Group is implementing a range of
        shared web-based services including state-of-the-art library
        system, bibliographic databases and web site.

        ... Alan Gale
            University of Guelph Library
            Guelph, Ontario CANADA

                 ***************************************

             INFORMATION SERVICES LIBRARIAN
             SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

        The University of Guelph Library requires an innovative
        professional librarian to join our Science and Technology
        Information Services team. The Team is responsible for
        Academic Liaison, Information Literacy, Reference, Collection
        Management/Development and Community Needs Assessment in
        the sciences.

        The Library values service, responsiveness to user information
        needs and accountability to our user community. Our team
        approach stresses shared goals, participatory decision making,
        and positive collaboration with the TriUniversity Group of
        Libraries and our other academic partners.

        The ideal candidate will demonstrate excellent verbal and written
        communication skills and the interpersonal skills required to
        work with individuals and in a team environment. A current
        knowledge of the impact of technologies and their application in
        libraries is an asset. In addition, experience or knowledge of
        the research process in an academic environment would prove
        valuable in working with faculty and graduate students. This
        is an academic appointment and the successful candidate will be
        expected to participate in appropriate professional and scholarly
        activities.

        Required qualifications include an ALA accredited Master's degree
        in library and information science and a Master's degree in a
        discipline related to the life sciences.  This position will be
        filled at the Librarian I level (an entry level position).  The
        annual salary is $36,287 per year. Filling this position is
        subject to budgetary approval.

        In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, this
        advertisement is directed to Canadian citizens and permanent
        residents of Canada.

        The University of Guelph is committed to an employment equity
        program that includes special measures to achieve diversity
        among its faculty and staff.  We therefore particularly encourage
        applications from qualified aboriginal Canadians, persons with
        disabilities, members of visible minorities and women.

        We anticipate filling this position by September 1, 1998.

        Applications should be submitted by July 10, 1998:

        Jim Brett, Manager, Science & Technology, Information Services
        Chair of the Search Committee
        c/o The Library
        University of Guelph
        Guelph, Ont., CANADA  N1G 2W1