Library Lawsuit

Erin Noll enoll at kenton.lib.ky.us
Mon Jun 8 09:09:55 EDT 1998

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Bob Cherry wrote:

> First, the child wanted this material.  It didn't just "Pop up"
> on the screen.  The child had to spend time searching it out,
> finding the URL, selecting it and requesting a download.  It
> was not an accident!

Again, I have to disagree. Another thing with sex on the Web ...
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but there are more
and more non sexual sites on the Web that, while not sexually
explicit in and of themselves, are sponsored by and contain ads
for pornographic sites. And, furthermore, these ads are usually
moving GIF files that are VERY sexually explicit. More and more,
some of the kids and teens around here are searching for
materials on their favorite rap stars or supermodels and pulling
up, inadvertantly, some very sexually explicit material.

And, even beyond this, what about the sexually explicit sites
who put some very common and seemingly innocuous terms in their
META tags? I've been on the 'Net for years and there have still
been times that I've inadvertantly pulled up some pornographic
crap simply because of the META tags and the way a page was
indexed because of the tags that were used. Wasn't there just
someone on this very mailing list who searched for the words to a
nursury rhyme and wound up at a pornographic site in Germany?

> Secondly, the same child could enter many
> public libraries and pull down books off the shelves which
> contain foul language for a child as well as material mean for
> adult patrons.

Yes, but the books don't have live action video shots of men
having sex with children or women having sex with animals, do
they? <SARCASM> At least the ones on my library's shelves don't.
But, then again, I am from a fairly *conservative* part of the
country. Maybe other public libraries do things differently.
</SARCASM>

> Geeze.  Sum peeples chillens!

If only it *were* the children ... <SIGH>

Erin
Erin M. Noll                  Kenton County Public Library
Assistant Systems Librarian   5th and Scott Streets
enoll at kenton.lib.ky.us        Covington, KY  41011
http://www.kenton.lib.ky.us/  v. (606)491-7610  f.(606)655-7960