Remote access to databases

Floyd Csir fcsir at cbu.edu
Wed Jun 3 12:14:52 EDT 1998

Alan,

One solution is to contact your database vendors and ask them to set up
remote passwords in addition to IP address authentication. I'm not sure if
IAC or SIRS does this, but my library has this set up with Ebsco and UMI
and it has worked well. Before we give out passwords to students over the
telephone or in person, we verify their status from our online catalog.
This low-tech solution may not work for larger libraries though.

Hope this helps,

Floyd Csir