Looking for copy/paste utility to use with Netscape 4.x PCs

Jennifer_Reiswig at UCSDLIBRARY.ucsd.edu Jennifer_Reiswig at UCSDLIBRARY.ucsd.edu
Mon Jun 1 18:54:00 EDT 1998

     We're looking for a VERY simple utility to use on public Web stations
     for cut 'n paste printing/saving from Web retrieval.  We do guide our
     users to Print Preview when they only want to print part of a Web
     page, but that doesn't help them _save_ only part, and it doesn't help
     those who want one paragraph from one page and one from another. (We
     charge for printing, so we want to be a little sympathetic to poor
     students).

     We had noticed some users using the Composer module of Netscape 4 for
     this but we just removed it for unrelated reasons.  It's also overkill
     for what we need.

     Another option would be to allow use of Notepad, but we're a little
     concerned about possible mischief by patrons using this to write batch
     files, save files over existing ones, etc.  We've locked the
     workstations down pretty well, but would strongly prefer a copy/paste
     "scratchboard" utility that didn't really allow a full File/Open
     feature.  We've heard of something like this for Macs, but we're
     looking for something that will run on PCs (WinNT).

     Any ideas?  If we don't find something, hey, we'll write our own!

     Jenny Reiswig
     Biomedical Library
     University of California, San Diego
     jreiswig at ucsd.edu