Library Lawsuit

Jeff Bobicki bobicki at amigo.net
Mon Jun 1 15:42:01 EDT 1998

Hi all !!

I am not a Librarian but I do help support the technical needs of the
Library community. One of the issues I have been tasked with is how to
handle filtering from a technical perspective. To this end, I have
performed extensive studies of available filter packages and included a
filter package for  my Library Web Browser .... Librowse.

While I firmly believe that Engineering should remain out of the
philisophical / policy arena related to filtering, I just as firmly believe
that Engineering should provide a tool for you to successfully implement
such a policy if you wish to do so.

There is the rub. My filter studies have plainly indicated that the
technology that brings "this world of wonder" to your desk is simply NOT
capable of providing the level of support to selectively "filter it".

It really is pointless to argue about this because even if you do come to
some conclusion about this issue,  Engineering can't do it sucessfully anyway.

I just finished writing a magazine article on this very subject where I
made the comment:

One of the most important conclusions drawn from this study is simple.
Until Engineering can provide a viable filter (and you wish to use it), you
must allow internet access based upon trust. An agreement between the
"filterer" and the "filteree" about what is objectionable and what is not
is crucial. Perhaps loss of privilege if this trust is violated is the most
successful deterent to "bad" behavior.

You can not legislate something that cannot be done. Everybody loses.

I am wearing my flame retardent clothing

Best Regards

Jeff Bobicki

Technical Consultant  Colorado Southwest Regional Library System
http://home.amigo.net/bobicki/