Public Library Sued for NOT Filtering

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Mon Jun 1 10:52:56 EDT 1998

     Thomas Dowling wrote:
>OK, I call Godwin's Law on this one.  (See
<URL:http://www.netmeg.net/jargon/terms/g/godwin_s_law.html> and other
sites for the Jargon Dictionary.)  Implying David is a fascist does
nothing to improve the rhetorical level on this thread.  If you want to
argue your point, argue it; don't stoop to this level.

Hey! We tried logic to argue with Daivd for over a year. What has it gotten us.
And don't get cute with me about Internet cultural refrences like Godwin's Law.
Calling David Burt a fascist is a germane issue here. He has for the last year
advocated censorship of library materials, not just filtering, but also of the
controversial Sturges book. He has allied his "group" Filtering Facts with right
wing groups such at the Family Research Council (which is conducting a "war"
against homosexuals), Family Friendly Libraries (another anti-gay and anti-ALA
organization), The Ntional Law Center  for Children and Families (sic)
     (anti-porn), the American Family Association (anti-gay and anti-porn),
     and numerous other right wing religious groups using legislation to
     coerce people into following their worldview. Burt has begun
     advocating legislative methods to impose filtering on libraries. If
     the above doesn't convince you that we are talking about fascism with
     a friendly face, I don't know what will.

     Chuck0