Linux & thin-client computing

Dennis Brantley dennis at dati.com
Mon Jun 1 10:46:29 EDT 1998

Rhyno Art wrote:

> We are currently using two types of "thin client" architectures for our
> public stations and are considering adding a third variation to the list.
> Our most widely deployed solution is to use CITRIX, which has the advantage
> of letting us run windows-based applications on 386/486 machines with 8 MB
> or less RAM. The DOS client for CITRIX has very few resource requirements,
> though there are significant screen resolution and licensing issues that
> are associated with this solution, especially now that Microsoft has
> entered the fray with their HYDRA solution.

Perhaps an important note:  Hydra (now Windows Terminal Server) will not
by itself support DOS clients, nor will it support browser launching
without installing the Microsoft WTS client on the users' PCs.  The
Citrix Picasso (now MetaFrame) add-on will be required for these
functions.

Licensing is likely to be a key issue.  While Citrix WinFrame is
server-based with free client access, Microsoft's position to this point
is that since WTS allows the user to "run" NT 32-bit applications, the
client platform will require an NT workstation upgrade license as a
minimum.  While this sounds difficult to implement, remember that WTS
clients are Windows-only, and a client desktop install will be required.

Application licensing issues should be the same for each of these
solutions.

--
Dennis Brantley
Data Access Technologies, Inc./CD Solutions
mailto:dennis at dati.com