Help:borders on and off

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Jun 10 11:22:51 EDT 1998

I have a couple of quibbles with this.  First, as has already been pointed
out, up-to-date versions of lynx handle tables about as well as possible
in an 80x24 environment.  Second, and more to the point, most people who
really work with accessibility issues (and most of the visually impaired
web surfers I've seen commenting on the issue) do NOT want alternate
document versions that are text-only, table-free, etc.  They argue instead
that there should be a single version of the document, crafted in such a
way that it can be viewed without images, without javascript, without any
other technologies that may impede accessibility.  That means things like
religious use of ALT text (and longdesc links as soon as they're supported
in browsers); serious attention to NOSCRIPT and NOFRAMES elements; and
tables for tabular layout, not for page design hacks.

<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH> for further information.  This
document is a draft, but seems to reflect a broad consensus on its main
points.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu