Cookies?

Charles Barker cebarker at liberty.edu
Sat Jun 6 20:40:51 EDT 1998

As a developer, I consider cookies an essential harmless aspect of the
Internet. These 'variables' are one of the few ways for a site to store data
that can be used as a user traverses throughout a site. Some online research
databases use persistent cookies to allow patrons to access their site
without distributing usernames and passwords.
The only real reason that I can see to disable cookies is the fact that
cookies can hold information about a user accessing a site (i.e.. if one
person was validated, the next person to use the site could be validated by
the cookie from the previous person's visit). This can be avoided by
deleting the cookies with a batch file as user's logon.
In conclusion, I see cookies as a useful tool which should not be limited.