Training in non-classroom type situations

Kate Pohjola pohjolak at lcm.macomb.lib.mi.us
Tue Jun 2 20:02:23 EDT 1998

Greetings!

I'm curious if anyone out there in libraryland has done Internet
training in their library without being in a traditional classroom-style
situation.  All of our branches are large, one-room buildings, with the
different areas separated by shelving or tables.  We have no dedicated
area for computer training or other programs (we have to close the
children's room for storyhours or other programs).

I've trained a few small groups during library tours (maximum of 10-15
kids) by first doing a demonstration on one terminal and then letting
the kids try things out (we have 14 terminals that can be used, plus our
Information Desk).  I'm not real sure, though, how effective training in
this kind of situation really can be.

Can anyone share their experiences?  Any suggestions?  My director is
hoping to offer Internet training to the public, and I have to train the
staff first!  Any and all ideas are most welcome.

Thanks!
--
Kate A. Pohjola, Branch Librarian
Warren Public Library - Walt Whitman Branch