Disallowing certain URLs in Netscape 4.X

Phillip Whitford pwhitford at braswelllib.org
Wed Jul 29 15:41:04 EDT 1998

We did not want to use a Net Nanny type product either but we compromised
and use a product called Cyber Snoop.  While similar to Net Nanny it has
some important differences.  Cyber Snoop does no filtering based on words or
terms.  It's default settings are for unrestricted Internet access.  It only
blocks URLs that have been specifically entered in it. It also allows you to
blanket block access to certain types of Internet services (E-mail, chat,
FTP, etc.)  On the systems we want to block from e-mail and chat we block
those basic services and then enter in the URLs of the free e-mail and chat
rooms we want to block.

The software is available in stand alone or NT network versions and is about
$35 per copy.  It is very easy to install, configure, and use. It requires
Winsock 2, which is included with the program. The program works at the
Winsock level and can be turned on and off as required on individual
machines. It protects itself from unauthorized tampering and disables all
Internet access on the client machine (by shutting down the Winsock) if it
is tampered with. The program is totally customizable and you can set up
various restrictions on different machines as needed.

There are a couple of negatives: You are forced into a slightly reactive
mode with Cyber Snoop. The free e-mail services and most of the chat rooms
are not blocked by the blanket service blocks and must be entered
individually. As new services are discovered by your patrons you must enter
the new service URLs to block access to them.  Also, when a patron tries to
go to a blocked site they get an error message from the Winsock saying the
network is down instead of just getting a message saying the site is
blocked.  That can be confusing.

Cyber Snoop logs all Internet activity on the client machine by URL, date,
and time.  This feature can be a useful source of statistics or an
unwarranted intrusion into patron privacy, depending on how you use it.
Logging can't be turned off.

We have found Cyber Snoop useful in restricting access on machines set up
for Internet research while not limiting the researcher's ability to surf as
needed.  We also use it, in a more restrictive mode, on the Internet
stations in the Children's Room. We do not use it on our general Internet
surfing stations.  We allow full Internet access on those machines.

Phillip Whitford
Braswell Memorial Library
344 Falls Rd, Rocky Mount NC 27804
252-442-1951
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my organization.